All you need to Know about National Talent Search Examination (NTSE)
National Talent Search Examination (NTSE) is a National-Level Scholarship Program at the Secondary School level to identify and recognize students with high intellect and academic talent. NTSE is conducted every year at Two levels - Stage-I (State Level), conducted by the States/Union Territories and Stage-II (National Level), conducted by NCERT. The objective of the two-tier examination is to identify the talented students who have a special aptitude for Sciences, Mathematics, Social Sciences and questions based on Analytical Reasoning.
Eligibility Criteria for Stage-I:
- NTSE Stage-I is conducted by State/UT bodies. Only Indian students are eligible to appear in this level.
- The students studying in Class X are eligible for appearing in the test.
- They are required to have obtained 60% marks in their Class IX, in the last academic year.
- Student must be studying in a recognized school in the respective State or Union Territory.
- The SC, ST and PH category candidates get a relaxation of 5% and the maximum score they must have obtained in their Class IX is 55% marks.
- Students registered under Open Distance Learning (ODL) are also considered eligible for the scholarship examination, if he/she is below the age of 18 years (as on July 1, of the year) and is not employed while appearing for Class X exam.
Eligibility Criteria for Stage-II:
- Students, securing 80% marks or above in the State level exam, are eligible for the Stage-II to be held by NCERT at National level.
- Around 4000 students are shortlisted for the National level NTSE across the country.
- All students who secure the minimum required marks at Stage-II, are eligible for the scholarship program.
Selection Process: It is a Two-Stage Selection Process for award of Scholarship. For Stage I, Selection is done by States/UTs through a Written Exam. Students who qualify Stage I are eligible to appear in Stage II examination conducted by NCERT.
For stage-II, there is a quota for each State and Union Territory computed based on Student enrolment at secondary level. Qualifying marks for candidates from General Category is 40% in each paper and for candidates from SC, ST, PH is 32% in each paper.
NTSE Scholarships: 1000 scholarships are awarded every year, of which 750 are unreserved. Students who qualify Stage II are eligible for the scholarship. The scholarships under the present scheme are awarded to the candidates for pursuing courses in Sciences and Social Sciences up to Doctoral level and in professional courses like Medicine, Engineering and Law up to Second-Degree level.
The amount of scholarship is as follows:
- Scholarship of Rs.1250 per month for class XI and XII.
- Scholarship of Rs.2000 per month for Undergraduate & Post Graduate.
- Scholarship for Ph.D. is provided in accordance with the UGC Norms.
- 15% Scholarship is reserved for students belonging to the SC Category.
- 7.5% Scholarships is for students belonging to the ST Category.
- 4% for Physically Challenged students.
Stage I: Examination at the State/UT level comprises of Three Papers
Stage II: Examination at the National Level comprises of Two Papers
Important Details of NTSE 2017-18